Thursday, September 12, 2013

Social Media for Customer Service




We’ve all been there: it’s after business hours and you can’t get a hold of a customer service representative from a company. What do you do? If you’re dealing with a company like Carnival Cruise Lines, you hop on their Facebook page and post your question on their timeline and wait a few minutes for your response. 

My wife and I went on a cruise with them a few years ago. Upon our return from our cruise, I “liked” the page and posted a picture, and within 10 minutes, the admin had replied, “nice shot” in response. I remembered this fact the next year, when we cruised with the whole family. At 1:00 am the day that we were supposed to sail, I had a question about the required documentation. I posted the question to their timeline and within 15 minutes of my post, I had my answer. 

In my humble opinion (or should I say, IMHO?), Carnival is a frontrunner in using social media for customer service. I was impressed by the prompt support I was rendered. That being said, using a social media page for customer service is only as effective as the admin behind it. As far as customer relations, Carnival is definitely doing something right.

8 comments:

  1. So awesome! I wish the company's that I went to ask questions/posted about would respond in such a manor. I am impressed, and thus if I did go on a cruise I would want to check them out. It is situations like these that many large corporate businesses take for granted. I think had many of the businesses done so it would be a change for the better because it shows just how much they care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their prompt response on social media is good to hear! I was a commercial flight nurse for about 10 years until recently transporting patients all over the world. Many people reported a negative impression of Carnival because of how they handled getting sick people off the cruise ships in different ports.Hopefully their total customer service has improved, not just via social media!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear of your positive experience with Carnival.... after all their woes, it's great to hear the positives. I liked the cruise I took with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear that they are keeping up with there social media some businesses take for ever to respond seems like there trying to turn their image around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an inspiring story. I just dread having to call any kind of customer service call centers any more. They tend to be rude and preoccupied or not even in the country you are in, much less have any real idea of how to solve your issue. I will now begin to utilize the chat lines more often when needing to deal with customer service. It would be so much easier to put your issue in writing once than having to retell your story 6 times to 6 different managers from 6 different departments until someone can actually help you. Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - it's very hard to deal with companies after hours, especially if they are in a different time zone. There are a few companies now that have a 24 hour hotline that you can call to speak with someone, or use a Chat line with. I have never been on a cruise, but it is nice to hear of your experiences with Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! I love hearing stories like that. I always wonder, do you think that the people responding are the same ones answering the phones? Or do you think they have a separate department specifically for online inquiries?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah that is truly awesome! that they would respond online that quickly must imply they have someone 24/7 working on their SMM. At the forefront of capturing the younger cruise passengers!

    ReplyDelete