Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Final Wrap Up

I chose to take this class to get better acquainted with social media as a way to advertise my wife's business. Although she is a conscientious and skilled tax preparer and immigration consultant, the economy and her lack of resources for marketing have kept her work flow stagnant over the last few years. This class has taught me beyond the basics of various social media outlets, including what works, what doesn't for this particular business. I have determined which ones are too time consuming and which ones can be integrated across multiple platforms and so much more.

Over the last several months, I have begun integrating a blog, a newsletter, Instagram, and Facebook to create a consistent brand for her business. Since the company does not have a website, my goal was to get the business name and brand out there. Our clients love us, and although it is not a practice of ours to take clients from other businesses, we know that we do good work and others can definitely benefit from our services. The hope is that Facebook, Yelp, Google Maps, etc. will drive clients in the door. Social media has allowed us to reach out to more people in a shorter amount of time and for far less advertising dollars. One drawing that cost nothing more than a $10 Starbucks gift card reached nearly 600 users. Previously, strictly paper advertising was utilized, which has spotty success, and is both time- and cost-ineffective. My hope is that this tax season, clients will see our table signs on my wife's desk and like the business page.

Overall, this class has been an excellent way to explore social media at a deeper level. It has helped me build an understanding of what the various platforms do and how I can utilize them both professionally and personally.

In addition to maintaining the Seaside Family Services page and training my wife, I plan to use the tools I have learned in this class to create and maintain a Facebook page for MiraCosta's High School Diploma Program. I now feel competent and confident that I will represent the college well and meet the needs of the program.

Thank you Tracy and Claudia for a great class experience! And thank you, fellow classmates. It has been great conversing and learning with and from one another. Take care, guys!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Manuel,

    Just wanted to wish you and your wife great success for her business!

    Have enjoyed reading your posts.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes, Manuel! It was great having you in the class. :)

    ReplyDelete